Thursday 25 January 2007

Spice Cake Doughnuts


Made it in smaller 1 1/2 inch doughnuts and covered it with icing (confectioner's) sugar. I didn't have shortening, so I used margarine.

I failed to follow the 1st cardinal rule of baking: Read the whole recipe before starting. So I put the whole 2 cups all purpose flour in the bowl with the rest of the dry ingredients before realising that I had to reserve 1/4 cup for later. I did manage to salvage some of the flour but I have to remember next time to properly read the instructions before dumping everything together.

The recipe was quick. Didn't need to refrigerate the dough like another recipe I tried. Fried the lot and let it cool before rolling it in sifted icing (confectioner's) sugar. I did think it was a bit doughy. I think, in my next attempt, I will try to lessen the flour a bit, let the dough be slightly more wet, and refrigerate before cutting and frying.

Overall a good attempt and a worthwhile recipe to try again.

No comments: