Thursday 19 June 2008

Those yummilicous waffles.

When I am interested in something, I tend to be a bit obsessive. I used to collect self-help book due to whatever reasons. Am over that, but then came the writing-poetry phase. Collected whatever book worth collecting on the subject matter. Currently I am trying to wean myself off cookbook addicition. I may need to form a Cookbookaholic Anonymous, as pointed out by a friend that my wish list in amazon.com will show you my need for 8 pages of books listed on how to bake the same cake or bread 1001 ways, apart from the others books in the list which includes 1001 ways to ten pin bowling, a sport I am currently obsessing about, 1001 ways to write poetry and fiction, 1001 ways to take the perfect photo, sewing, retail and so on.

I have, in that particular list, added a kitchen equipment, but because Amazon doesn't ship kitchen equipments to Malaysia, the list remains as one item to remind me to get that doughnut dropper. Something that I have not found here yet. I think it is because Malaysian just doesn't appreciate the yumminess of the American style fritter doughnuts. We are deluged with the yeast raised doughtnuts with all those branches of doughnut franchise all over KL and Selangor, which to my opinion tasteless, except for the toppings.

One of my favourite food is waffles. I love waffles since I was very young. Hot and drenched with maple syrup and melting butter, it is the ultimate breakfast food. Even better when there are sausages and sunny side up eggs.

We used to have a waffle maker when I was small. My father brought it back from U.S when he came back from his Sabbatical in Santa Babara. It was used so often that the teflon surface lost all its non stickiness! Therefore I was so happy to fork out my money when I saw this Waffle maker being sold at a discount in Bangsar Shopping Complex. I didn't even stop to think and didn't even ask beloved husband if he will contribute his moolah to buy it. Of course we know the answer, if we were to ask him...the typical "Do you really need this?" or "Do you need to use it now?"....I rest my case.

Anyway, here is my adventures in making waffles, after testing some recipes from those 1001 books on how to make waffles:

Sift 300g flour and 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder in the big bowl and add 50g sugar. 3 eggs with a cup of milk with a teaspoon vanilla essence. 110 gm butter melted. You could add a whole 220gm of butter for a more sinfully crunchy and yummy waffle...but I am on a diet ;-). There is another school of thought on the matter, where you separate the egg yolks with the whites. Add the yolk with the milk and whisk the white until soft peak and fold into the batter at the end. But hey! I am feeling a bit lazy today and this recipe works without the extra work

Make a well and pour all dry ingredients. Notice that nifty batter whisk from WMF? Did I tell you I am an obsessive collector...







Mix everything just until it comes together. Don't mind the lumps.








Switch on the waffle maker and wait till the light goes off.











Spray the waffle maker with some oil.











Pour an estimate of 1/3 cup for each waffle.











Close and holding to the handle turn the whole thing upside down so that the batter will be even.










Wait till the steam disappears...











Serve immediately with a pat of butter and plenty of maple syrup....I am salivating!

3 comments:

LifeBloom said...

Glorious ...simply glorious!

Anonymous said...

Your friend who pointed out your amazon list to you sounds very smart.

Gemini Girl said...

Anonymous...that's it, the friend 'sounds' smart...;-)